Ulalena – A Story of Hawaii’s People
There is a wind and rain particular to Maui that rises at twilight. It whispers of other places and other times, both mythic and real. It blows between daylight and night, between times and worlds. It is hopeful and cleansing. The ancient Hawaiian name for this wind is ‘Ulalena. It is also the name of the newest and most amazing stage production to come from Hawai‘i in decades.
The power of this production is that it is both universal and intimate. It is born from a mythology populated by beings larger than life representing a natural landscape alive with volcanoes, vast oceans and primeval rainforests. The story begins with the mythical creation of the islands and rolls through successive waves of voyagers who have found their way to these shores. From the first Polynesians to the early European explorers, and finally to us …
Every seat at the Maui Theatre maintains a sense of intimacy and interaction with the performance. Traditional theatre is blended with acrobatic feats of strength and beauty. Hula is combined with modern dance. Rich costumes, lighting and stage design are woven together into a filigree of fantastic images drawn from Hawaiian legend and history.
‘Ulalena explores relationships between people, nature and mythology. The use of metaphors integrates Hawaiian chants and dances, original music and choreography, lighting and projections to support the talents of unique performers.
‘Ulalena is a journey where the moment-to-moment excitement of self-discovery is the destination. ‘Ulalena… The new era of golden people face their future as the ‘Ulalena rain embraces them – their essence and spirit molded into a way of life that is close to nature.
Call Us Toll Free! (877) 688-4800
845 Wainee St, Lahaina, HI 96761-2321
878 Front St – Lahaina, HI 96761-1695
CLICK HERE to download Ulalena’s media kit. Full of information about the show, photos, reservation info, seating chart and more!
Click Here to become a fan of Ulalena on FACEBOOK!!
* “Beautiful depiction of Hawai’i’s history” – New York Times
* “Spectacular Theatrical Sensation” – NationalGeographic.com
* “…proves there’s a life beyond the luau.” – Travel+Leisure Magazine
* “Wow” – San Francisco Chronicle
* “Voted “Best Show 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010″ – Maui News – Best of Maui
* “There’s nothing like it in Hawai’i.” – Frommer’s, Maui Edition
* “Perhaps the most stirring theatrical experience in all the islands.” – TravelAge West
* Awarded “Best Show” & “Best Attraction” – Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau
* Voted “Best Way to Learn About Maui” – Maui Magazine
* Voted “Best Cultural Show, 2010″ – Maui News – Best of Maui